Monday, January 21, 2008

Homestay















Here you see one view from my casa en Quito. The apartment is a third floor walk up with great views in many directions around the Old town. We spend the most time sitting around at the table in the dining/ tv room. My only complaint is the dim lighting throughout the house. I´m picky about my lighting but other than that its homey. My room is small but comfortable.

The food has been pretty good. I prefer the breakfasts, bread (some type of roll or croissant) with butter and jelly, fruit (mango, banana, or pinapple) and coffee. The dinners are somewhat unpredicatable. The portions are a good size for me, not too large, and we always have a dessert. I am somewhat nervous to tell you all that I have decided not to be picky while on my trip and have been eating a little meat. I don´t really enjoy it but I feel it will make my travels smoother, and I feel better eating what the rest of my family is eating while at the home stay. So meals have ranged from beans, potatoes, and muffins last night to chicken and rice. We almost always also have a salad with cucumbers and tomatoes.

I love that its only women in the house. It really nice sitting around together and talking, laughing, watching tv, or playing cards. I can´t really say much yet cause my spanish is limited but I do a good job listening and I am usually able to follow the conversation more or less.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hooray now everyone can post comments on your excellent blog!

Glad you are settling in and sound happy. The view from your window looks beautiful. Be sure to do lots of exploring around Quito and take pictures so we can live vicariously through you.

Oh yeah I almost forgot to mention: meat?