Thursday, January 17, 2008

Bienvenido Quito

I am happy to report that my travel day went very smoothly. Straight from Miami to Quito with no problemas. When I arrived in the small Quito airport at around 7:45 pm there was a man holding a sign with my name. There is actually no time change between Quito and Baltimore so the journey was much easier than flying to Europe.
The airport is in the far north of Quito, so we drove south through New Town and into Old Town, the city center, where my home stay is located. The streets were bustling with locals and mountains rose up on all sides of us.
I was pleasantly surprised by my home stay after coming with the least amount of expectations possible. It is an apartment on the third floor of a large historic building. There is a wonderful view across the city. One other American is also staying with the family, a kind woman and her 20 something daughter. She is somewhat fluent in spanish so they spent the evening sitting around watching a spanish soap opera. There is so much more to share but it is starting to get dark so I should head home. More tomorrow and I have a good connection and a nice mac computer here at my spanish school, so photos will come!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awe! I am glad you got a nice welcome and a good living situation. YEAHHHHH
Sounds great. Can't wait for the photos. Lots of love, thinking about you.
Cakili2412