Thursday, April 24, 2008

Tornado of Tours

I have been keeping very busy over the past week and doing a lot of tours, which were reasonably priced in Bolivia. I´ve bared amazing altitudes and cold but I was worth it. First I went to Potosi, the highest city in the world. It was a pretty neat mining town with a lot of character, set up in the mountains. There I did a tour of the mines. I felt that I learned more about the miners´ situations from seeing the documentary, but actually being inside was pretty neat. We were given a whole mining jump suit, boots, and head lamp.

Then I went to Uyuni and signed up for a three day tour, with 6 other people in a jeep. I really enjoyed my time on the tour. It provided a stress free few days where everything was more or less planned out for me. I also had a cool group of people to get to know and some quality card playing time. I have learned two really good new games, which I am determined to remember and play again when I return.
There was a lot of time in a jeep on the wide open desert type landscape. My little Ipod speakers came in handy. The first day we spent on the actual salt flats of Uyuni, the largest in the world. Its a truly bizarre landscape an there is no sense of depth in photographs because there is so much flat nothingness. The next days we saw beautifully colored lakes and mountains, boulder fields, natural gysers, and flamingos. The tour ended by crossing the border into Chile. ´Now I head to the beach!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually I think Berkeley, California is the highest city in the world.