Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Feeling Strong in Sucre

Following a successful night bus ride, I have had an amazingly productive first day in Sucre. I always get a little nervous before taking a night bus. You just never know what those 12 hours trapped on a bus might be like. Other than being freezing for most of the night, while my neighbor was snug under like 5 layers of blankets and various other warm looking belongings, the ride went smoothly. I was able to sleep and we got in right on schedule at 7:30AM.

I had luck and found a nice hostel on my first try with a pleasant courtyard, a giant kitchen, hot shower, and a friendly british couple who were on my bus. Then I went to the large nearby market and finally bought a small, cheap bath towel which I have been making do without thus far. I also got all the makings for speghetti and a homemade somewhat spicy tomato, garlic, spinach sauce.

This afternoon I checked out some Spanish classes and signed up to take two hours of one on one lesson for the next three days. It will cost me about $11 a day, but hopefully will motivate me to do some extra studying. After 2 months travelling I feel my conversational skills slipping. I can keep up on my listening comprehension but my speaking skills are getting a little weak.

This city is absolutely beautiful and I feel much more comfortable here than in La Paz. It seems like a good place to sit around at cafes and study, draw, and think. Today´s weather was sunny and fairly warm. Hopefully it will keep it up before I head to Potosi and the salt flats which are spose to be freezing!

No comments: